Open studio sessions
Your Own Practice Time
Are you an experienced ceramicist, who is looking for a space to practice your craft?
We have a full suite of pottery equipment and a large supply of stoneware clays, glazes and underglazes that you can create with. But most importantly, we are friendly, relaxed and family run studio that welcomes all potters and ceramic enthusiasts.
Open Studio Details
Friday AM - 10am to 12:30pm
Friday PM - 3pm to 5:30pm
Pricing is 300 HKD per session.
This is inclusive of all clay, glazing and firing costs for pieces created in the classes (up to a limit of 1.5kg per week).
The classes are conducted at Terracotta Studio, located at G/F 10-12A Stanley Main Street, Stanley, Southern District.
Please note that these sessions are for experienced students only
Frequently Asked Questions
What Should I Expect?
A two and a half hour session where you will have access to a fully equipped pottery studio with electric wheels wheels, a slab roller, clay extruder, dipping and painting glazes, underglazes and more.
Can Anyone Book an Open Studio Session?
Open studio is for students who are able to create and craft independently of any instruction. This is so our instructors are able focus their attention on our beginner students. If you are new to ceramics we recommend that you sign up for our adult classes or our wheel throwing course.
We consider the below to be fundamental ceramic techniques that potters should be proficient in before they can sign up for our Open Studio Sessions:
- Wedging Clay
- Slab Building
- Sculpting and Hollowing
- Scoring and Slipping
- Throwing a Tall Cylinder on the Wheel (min 350g)
- Throwing a Bowl on the Wheel (min 350g)
- Throwing a Plate on the Wheel (min 350g)
- Attaching Handles, Spouts and Other Accessories to Wheel Thrown Pots
- Trimming on the Wheel
- Using Underglazes
- Using Glazes
- Using Wax Resists
Does the Open Studio Include Material and Firing Costs?
The open studio sessions include up to 1.5kg of clay a week, as well as the firing costs for that clay. For projects requiring more clay, or for 'oversize' objects of an exceptionally large volume we can discuss bespoke pricing options based on your needs. This is to find a balance between affordability, accessibility and kiln space between all of our students. Please note that this policy may be subject to amendment by the studio at any time.
What Should I Bring?
Just your creativity, and we'll take care of the rest. All materials, tools and aprons are provided. While our clay is washable, we suggest that you wear clothing you don't mind getting dirty. This is a craft session after all, so things could get messy- which is all part of the fun!
How Long is Each Session?
Two and a half hours long. This includes creating, as well as tidying up!
When Can We Collect our Pieces?
The lead time for collection can vary depending on drying time and our kiln firing schedule. We estimate that most pieces will be ready four weeks from the day of creation. This should give them ample time to dry and therefore reduce the chance of any damage to the pieces during the firing process.
What is Your Cancellation Policy?
We have a strict seven day cancellation policy.
- If you provide over seven days notice before the course you are entitled to a full refund
- If you provide between seven days to 48 hours notice before your course we will be unable to offer a refund. However, we will be able to offer studio credit for other classes and workshops
- If you provide less than 48 hours notice before the course you will not be refunded or provided with studio credit. We are a small studio and it is unlikely we will be able to fill your seat with only 48 hours notice. But, if you are able to send a friend in your place just let us know and we are happy to accommodate them!
Will There Be Make Up Sessions?
If a class is missed, we will not be able to provide a make up session.
How Can I Sign Up?
Please get in touch with us via WhatsApp or email: